Please read carefully.
DEFINITIONS - In these Terms and Conditions, references to "Visual Art Network" refers to the website visualartnetwork.org.uk, managed by the Visual Art Network charity 1087383.
References to "VAN", "us" or "our(s)" refers to the the Visual Art Network. The details of the VAN are listed at the top of the full Terms and Conditions
References to "you" or "your" refers to you, the user of the Website.
References to "the Website" "the Site" refers to the Website at http://www.visualartnetwork.org.uk
References to "account holder" refers to members of VAN with access to 'locked' members only section of the Website.
References to" Artists" refers to artist members.
References to "User Content" refers to any user-generated content posted, attached or added to the Website including but not limited to any resources, documents, commentary, emails, information, screenshots, photographs, pictures, videos, text, artwork and any other user-generated material.
References to "Services" refers to resources and profile section of the Site.
References to "Intellectual Property Rights" refers to any copyright, trade marks, design rights or other intellectual property rights existing from time to time.
Your use of the Website constitutes acceptance of the following Terms and Conditions.
These Terms & Conditions will apply to your access and use of our website at visualartnetwork.org.uk. By registering an account, subscribing to the Visual Art Network Charity and using visualartnetwork.org.uk you accept that you will be bound to the Terms & Conditions of use in full as set out below.
If you do not agree to any of these term and conditions, you must not access, use and /or contribute to our website. Please contact us if you have any questions about these terms and conditions using the contact details below.
- The Trustee Management Committee of Visual Art Network(VAN) registered charity operates visualartnetwork.org.uk from the office at 45-46 Gallery Stalls, Shrewsbury Market Hall, Claremont Street, Shrewsbury, Shropshire. SY1 1QG
If you do not agree to the changes you should not access or use the website.
Licence to use visualartnetwork.org.uk
You agree to use VAN Website only for lawful purposes and in a considerate and responsible way that does not infringe the rights of, restrict or inhibit anyone else's use and enjoyment of visualartnetwork.org.uk.
Prohibited behaviour includes:
- using the website for any purpose that is against the law
- harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any person
- transmitting defamatory, libellous, racist, obscene, pornographic, indecent or offensive or menacing content which could cause anxiety to anyone else
- using the website in any way that cause interruption or damage to the online services or renders them impaired or less efficient
- using the website in any way that could cause damage or disruption to another user's computer
- using the website to transmit or upload computer viruses or other harmful files or programmes
- collecting data about other users
- transmitting or sending unsolicited commercial communications such as junk mail or spam.
Membership Registration and Subscription
To access and participate in the Members Only 'locked' section of the website and to have an artist Profile Page, you are required to register and become an account holder of the type - Single/ individual or Member Organisation and subscribe as a member for a year to the Visual Art Network. 'Friend of'' account type does not include a Artist Profile page. You will be required to choose a username and password and provide registration information.
Payment for membership online is through Paypal.
Offline membership subscription payments can also be arranged.
You will be notified by automated email a month before your membership is due to expire and will be given the payment options again to renew your subscription either online or offline. A further reminder will be sent. If you renew subscription your account will be available for another year. If you do not renew in time and your membership is lapsed the account will be automatically suspended and you will be unable to login and your Profile will be removed from search listings until payment is received. You can still renew your account online through the Join VAN page of the website even if your account has expired.
The Visual Art Network reserves the right to close any account, without reason, without warning at any time.
The registered individual/single member account is for individuals who are posting photographs, images, video links and pieces of writing that are their own work.
You must be over 18 years old to register an account and subscribe online.
Registered Member Organisation accounts
Organisations wishing to become a Member Organisation can only apply online.
Membership to VAN for any body corporate or unincorporated association is subject to conditions set out in the Constitution of the Visual Art Network. Application to become a registered account holder as a Member Organisation is subject to written agreement and confirmation from the Board of Trustees.
Member Organisations are responsible for seeking permission from participants in their organisation for publishing artwork images all other content on their profile page.
VAN accepts no liability for content of Member Organisation profiles.
Your information, usernames and passwords
You agree to only provide current, complete and accurate information to VAN when you use the Website (including if you register an account as a member or contribute User Content to the Website).
You may not select as a username the name of another person or entity or something that is not lawfully available for use, a name or trademark that is subject to any rights of another person or entity other than you without appropriate aurthorisation, or a name that is otherwise offensive, vulgar or obscene.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the password and solely responsible for all activities resulting from the use of the password conducted. Please notify VAN immediately if you are aware that your account has been subject to unauthorised use.
Minimum Age/Parental consent
Until you are 16 years old, by using our online services, you certify that your parents have or legal guardian has consented to your use and agree to these terms on your behalf.
From time to time, VAN may create specific online communities, some of which will be restricted access and may only be offered to users aged 16 or over.
Parental discretion is advised and we recommend that you review these terms with your parents/guardian before using our website.
We may require your parents or legal guardian to provide a written acknowledgement of these terms on your behalf before we provide you with part or all of our online services.
Contributions to the VAN website / user generated content
- By sharing and uploading any contribution (including any text, photographs, graphics, video or audio-visual material) with VAN you agree to grant to VAN, free of charge, permission to use the material in any way it wants (including modifying and adapting it for operational and editorial reasons) for VAN services in any existing or future media worldwide (including on VAN's site accessed by international users) and in perpetuity. You waive any moral rights in your contribution in order to permit VAN to edit your material as appropriate. You also grant to VAN the right to sub-licence these rights to third parties.
- Copyright in your contribution will remain with you and this permission is not exclusive, so you can continue to use the material in any way including allowing others to use it, including licensing that material to other websites.
- In order that VAN can use your contribution, you confirm that your contribution is your own original work, is not defamatory and does not infringe any UK laws, that you have the right to give VAN permission to use it for the purposes specified above, and that you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your contribution or the consent of their parent / guardian if they are under 16. For the avoidance of doubt, the content must not infringe any third party's legal rights.
- If you do not want to grant VAN the permission set out above on these terms, please do not submit or share your contribution to or with visualartnetwork.org.uk
- VAN does not necessarily (and is not obliged to) pre-moderate all material submitted by you to visualartnetwork.org.uk, however, VAN reserves the right to: monitor any material submitted to our website,edit or remove any material submitted to our website without prior notice or any liability to you.
- All copyright, trade marks, design rights, patents and other intellectual property rights (registered and unregistered) in and on visualartnetwork.org.uk and all content (including all applications) located on the site shall remain vested in VAN or its licensors (which includes other users). You may not copy, reproduce, republish, disassemble, decompile, reverse engineer, download, post, broadcast, transmit, make available to the public, or otherwise use visualartnetwork.org.uk content in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. In certain prescribed circumstances, you may adapt, alter or create a derivative work from any visualartnetwork.org.uk content for your own personal, non-commercial use, with the prior written permission of VAN which will be indicated against the relevant visualartnetwork.org.uk content.
- The names, images and logos identifying VAN or third parties and their products and services are subject to copyright, design rights and trade marks of VAN and/or third parties. Nothing contained in these terms shall be construed as conferring any licence or right to use any trade mark, design right or copyright of VAN or any other third party.
You agree to use VAN communities (including message boards) in accordance with the following Community Rules. These apply across all VAN community sites and services.
(i) About your posts:
- Contributions must be civil and tasteful.
- No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: your contributions must be constructive and polite, not with the intention of causing trouble.
- No unlawful or objectionable content: the posting of unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable.
- Be patient: users of all ages and abilities may be taking part in the relevant VAN community.
- No spamming or off-topic material: we do not allow the submission of the same or very similar contributions many times. Please do not re-submit your contribution to more than one discussion, or contribute off-topic material in subject-specific areas.
- No commercial advertising, marketing or promoting is permitted.
- Contributions containing languages other than English may be removed unless allowed in the relevant local house rules.
- No impersonation of other users is permitted.
- No inappropriate (e.g. vulgar, offensive etc) user names.
- URLs (web site addresses) can only be posted if allowed under any relevant local house rules.
- Deliberate misuse of the complaints facility is not permitted. If you persist in doing this, action may be taken against your account.
(ii) Your VAN account:
If you use multiple logins for the purpose of disrupting a community or annoying other users you may have action taken against all of your accounts.
All accounts must be registered with a valid personal email address that you access regularly so that moderation emails can be sent to you. Accounts registered with someone elses email address, or with temporary email addresses may be closed without notice. We may require users to re-validate their account if we believe they have been using an invalid email address.
VAN reserves the right to close accounts if any user is seen to be using proxy IPs (Internet Protocol addresses) in order to attempt to hide the use of multiple VAN accounts, or if a non UK based user pretends to be a UK user, or disrupts any of our services in any way.
(iii) Online safety:
We advise that you never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else in posts or comments.
(iv) Lawful use:
You may not submit or share any defamatory or illegal material of any nature in VAN communities. This includes text, graphics, video, programmes or audio-visual material.
Contributing material to a VAN community with the intention of committing or promoting an illegal act is strictly prohibited.
You agree to submit to or share with VAN communities only contributions which are your own original work. You must not violate, plagiarise, or infringe the rights of VAN or third parties including copyright, trade mark, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights.
(v) Under 16s:
We are concerned about the safety of all users of visualartnetwork.org.uk but children in particular require special considerations. Parents and legal guardians who allow their children to participate in VAN Communities must supervise their children's online activity. We remind parents and legal guardians that it is their responsibility to determine whether or not particular areas of the website are suitable for children. Children under 16 must have parent or legal guardian permission before taking party in any VAN Community. We remind children to never reveal any personal information about yourself or anyone else, including the name and address of your school, your telephone number, your full name, home address, postal address or email address to the online VAN Community.
(vi) If you breach these community rules:
- VAN reserves the right to suspend or terminate your access to our online services or any aspect of them if you fail to comply with the Community Rules or we have reasonable grounds to believe you are likely to breach them.
If you submit or share any offensive or inappropriate content to or with any VAN communities or anywhere else on visualartnetwork.org.uk or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on our Website and VAN considers such behaviour to be serious and/or repeated, VAN may use whatever information that is available to it about you to stop any further such infringements. This may include informing relevant third parties such as your employer, school or email provider about the infringement(s).
VAN reserves the right to delete any contribution, or take action against any VAN account, at any time, for any reason.
Complaints and take down policy
You can contact us to make a complaint about any aspect of our online services or if you think your or a third party's copyright has been infringed by our online service. Please submit full details to the following email address: email@example.com
The advertisement of an event on this Website does not constitute its endorsement by VAN or it's partners or funders.
Privacy and data protection
VAN complies with all applicable UK and EU data protection legislation in force in respect of any personal information you submit to us. The personal details you submit to us will only be used for the specified purposes indicated to you and will not be passed onto unauthorised third parties without your explicit consent. You can contact us to amend or remove any information you submit to us. If you want VAN to remove all of your personal information, you may do so by submitting your name, user name, email address and telephone number and requesting the deactivation of your account to this email address firstname.lastname@example.org If you want to unsubscribe from newsletters/other email then click on the unsubscribe link which can be usually found at the bottom of the relevant communication.
If you enter a VAN competition, VAN will alert you to the specific competition terms and conditions that apply.
Third party websites
Our Website may contain links to other third party websites that are not owned or controlled by VAN. These links are provided for your convenience of access. If you use those links you will leave VAN's online services and you visit any linked site at your own risk. VAN is not responsible for any content, products or services available on any other websites.
Disclaimers and limitation of liability
The majority of content posted on the Website is user generated. The views expressed are those of the user and unless specifically stated are not those of VAN. VAN is not responsible for any content posted by members of the public on visualartnetwork.org.uk or for the availability or content of any third party sites that are accessible through our Website Any links to third party websites from visualartnetwork.org.uk do not amount to any endorsement of that site by VAN and any use of that site by you is at your own risk.
VAN content, including the information, names, images, pictures, logos and icons regarding or relating to VAN, its products and services (or to third party products and services), is provided 'as is' and on an 'as available' basis. To the extent permitted by law, VAN excludes all representations and warranties (whether express or implied by law), including the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy. VAN does not guarantee the completeness or performance of the Website or any of the content. While we try to ensure that all content provided by VAN is correct at the time of publication no responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of VAN for any errors, omissions or inaccurate content on the Website.
Nothing in these terms limits or excludes VAN's liability for death or personal injury caused by its proven negligence. Subject to the previous sentence, VAN shall not be liable for any of the following losses or damage (whether such damage or losses were foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise): (a) loss of data; (b) loss of revenue or anticipated profits; (c) loss of business; (d) loss of opportunity; (e) loss of goodwill or injury to reputation; (f) losses suffered by third parties; or (g) any indirect, consequential, special or exemplary damages arising from the use of visualartnetwork.org.uk regardless of the form of action.
VAN does not warrant that functions available on this Website will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that the Website or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs. You acknowledge that it is your responsibility to implement sufficient procedures and virus checks (including anti-virus and other security checks) to satisfy your particular requirements for the accuracy of data input and output.
If any of these terms are determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these terms are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction in which that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted from these terms and the remaining terms shall survive and continue to be binding and enforceable.
The failure or delay of VAN to exercise or enforce any right in these terms does not waive VAN's right to enforce that right.
These terms shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with English law and you agree with VAN to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.